Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Running to Run

So there's been some talk, low-level chatter as the CIA types might have it, about the silence on my blog. Well, in the words of one of my favorite SNL skits by Jimmy Fallon let me say: "And we're back!"

I've been running almost everyday this past week and a half. With the move to the new place and adjustments all around in both my professional and personal lives, running has been my escape. Not that running hasn't always been the place to get away, collect my thoughts, and come back into my life with renewed spirit, energy, and enough sweat to intimidate Mohamed Ali and Mia Ham. Nonetheless, over the past couple of days, I've found myself excited about my late afternoon runs; that is, save yesterday's which almost killed me: I failed to consider a heat index of well over 100 degrees...not good.

When I started running, oh some years back, I never thought that it would be as great a kind of release that it has turned into. Never, did I ever, believe I would run in a competitive race which I did at the end of this past May. My first 10K went well. I finished the race; I was pleased; my always-supportive-family cheered; we left the race with a new t-shirt and some unripe bananas; we all felt good.

Now for the metaphorical analysis. When running today, I paused (the heat index had dropped but so had my energy level by about 40 minutes in and the approaching thunderstorm was roaring like angry Clintonistas with a score to settle) and thought to myself how fortunate I am to be where I am in life. I had coffee this morning with a friend who, like myself, counts herself lucky to be where she is at this moment in life. We mutually acknowledged the kind of inherent cultural privileges that benefited both of us on our journeys (I think we could both include some other items as well like hard work, grit, and determination but as historians we often like to 'get after' one topic at a time then pivot to others later: I'll update you all if/when we do so), but my point is that unlike a lot of individuals I see around me in the world, I consider myself lucky to be where I am and, just as importantly, to be able and willing to reflect on the intricacies and complications of the journey that got me here. Please don't misread me here bloggers, I'm not so wrapped up in the vanity of success. When I talk about "the journey" I proudly include failures, successes, and the 'draws' that combine to make up my life experiences. Whether I kept to the trodden path or struck out, as I am often known to do, on Frost's "road less traveled", I am thankful that I have (more often than not, I hope) kept the faith and been true to who I am; never wavering for smiles from the crowd, pandering for compliments, or selling out to get ahead.

As a fellow runner felt compelled to reveal to me during the 10K: "Isn't running to run great, but there's also something to be said for the perseverance necessary for the finish." At the time, all I could think was, "leave me alone while I try to survive this bloody race!" Now, in retrospect, I think she couldn't have been more dead on about that race, or the race of life.

TCH

1 comment:

me said...

Nice one, TCH.